Hello

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyCrispy

Reaction score
Hi all, I joined this forum as I inherited my parents 53 year old house two years ago and plan on doing major renovations to it soon. I'm not very skilled when it comes to home repair as I am a guitar teacher on Youtube. But I have big plans to improve the look of the house in which our family are the original owners, and have lived here all my life. I have a lot of sentimental attachments to the house, but it really needs to get out of the 60's and 70's, lol. So I will be posting questions in the near future from time to time and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bob
Toronto, Canada :)

Just a few questions before you start making it pretty.
Age of roof?
Basement, feet below ground level?
Crawlspace, insulated floor,damp under house?
Type for plumbing, copper, grey plastic?
Type of wiring, copper or alumiium?
General location?
Most people have an inspection done with a new house, witch would make them awhere of upcoming problems so I was thinking we could help you do that.

Just a few questions before you start making it pretty.
Age of roof?
Basement, feet below ground level?
Crawlspace, insulated floor,damp under house?
Type for plumbing, copper, grey plastic?
Type of wiring, copper or alumiium?
General location?
Most people have an inspection done with a new house, witch would make them awhere of upcoming problems so I was thinking we could help you do that.
Roof ( shingles ) is 12 years old, basement about 5 feet 5 inches below ground level, copper plumbing, copper wiring. Location; Brampton, Ont. Urban residential area, creek behind house. Not a new house, it is 53 years old and I have lived there all my life ( 40+ years ), but I inherited the house from my parents who were the original owners. Hope that helps, and thank you for your time. Bob

Sounds like you are off to the races. Lots of people start by remodeling kitchens and bathrooms with out checking for things that should be upgraded first.
Before spending money in the basement consider the age of the foundation waterproofing and condition of drain tile.
If you upgrade windows, the wood below the windows wants to be checked especially if you have plywood sheeting under the siding.

Back