Reinforcing swing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfonsocp

Reaction score
How would you go about reinforcing this swing? I got the whole playset from a neighbor. Sanded and re-stained it. The stud from which the swing hangs (current attachment is just for testing) is 6x2 cedar. Good enough for a toddler but would like to reinforce it for when they grow up and do heavier swinging/ hanging.

My first thoughts are:

1) Attach another 6x2 that would go diagonally from the tip (top-right of the photo) parallel to the ground and attached to the 4x4 column at the back of the photo.

2) Bracket to the 4x4 column at the front of the photo.

Option 1) would help for horizontal loads, whereas 2) would help for vertical loads.

IMG_5091.jpg

You have the problem with limiting the weight on that set up, older kids can be trusted to stay off:p
Add to that the constant racking of the structure will work on that structure.
So as kids get bigger and need more structure, that one will be getting weaker all the time.
I don't like the cantilever on the one you posted, that is more cute than long lasting.
I would build 2 A frames with a beam across the top. And set the legs deep in concrete and it will be there for 20 years.

I'd like to see a picture of the whole swing-set, because if there is not sufficient counterbalancing weight and it's not anchored, as the stress increases with the weight of the occupant, you can achieve overturning moment.

Two photos attached: One before putting up the roof and the anchoring system.

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

Thanks.

One of the first thing I would do, is "X" brace below the platform, which will afford you some resistance.

For the swing I would install another 2x6 on the other side of the post, insert a 4x6 between them in the cantilever and eye bolts to support the swing.

My first thought is to add an A-frame support to the open side. But after a minute of thought, where will the other swings go when your child has friends over???? May be better to build a separate swing set.

Back