Refinish antique

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see why you couldn't. mask off the top and then rig a razor cutter to score the tape and spray the circle.

Spray? Do you think i could just paint it on with a brush because i don't think i could find a close color match with spray paint. Also would tung oil be a good finish for a table or should i use something more protective like a polyurethane.

Last edited:
Yes you could brush it on. The finish is determined by the usage. If this is to be a show piece an oil finish would be perfect if it’s going to sit in the kitchen and have stuff spilled on it daily a tough poly sounds right.

is your hand steady enough, is your eyes good enough, is your hand / eye coordination good enough to make the circle of tape absolutely true ? If your answer is no, then you are going to screw it up royally.
I would try every alternative suggested here before you consider paint

is your hand steady enough, is your eyes good enough, is your hand / eye coordination good enough to make the circle of tape absolutely true ? If your answer is no, then you are going to screw it up royally.
I would try every alternative suggested here before you consider paint

Well once the table is stripped then ill use a 2in tape around the aproxamite area of the ring then ill mark out a perfect circle on the tape and cut it out with a razor. This way ill have a perfect ring if my hand is steady enough to cut it which i think it is. No one has really suggested a better way of redoing the ring.

Go to a craft store and see if they have a little paint roller pen/brush. Make a jig to hold the roller and use the edge of the table as a guide.

Get a large peice of thick paper and a peice of plywood bigger than the table. Make a jig out of something like a yard stick with a screw in one end and a knife set at the radius of the table.. Staple the paper to the plywood and cut the paper the same size as the table. Carefully cover the outer few inches of paper with doubles sided table and move the screw 1/2 the distance to the line and replace in the same screw hole in the plywood and cut a peice that will stick to the outside of the table, move the screw again 1/2 the width of the line and stick the center of the paper to the table and sprey the line.
Or head down to the vinyl sign shop and tell them what you need and they can make it for you.

It will not be an antique when you are done. It will be a table circa 2015

Get a large peice of thick paper and a peice of plywood bigger than the table. Make a jig out of something like a yard stick with a screw in one end and a knife set at the radius of the table.. Staple the paper to the plywood and cut the paper the same size as the table. Carefully cover the outer few inches of paper with doubles sided table and move the screw 1/2 the distance to the line and replace in the same screw hole in the plywood and cut a peice that will stick to the outside of the table, move the screw again 1/2 the width of the line and stick the center of the paper to the table and sprey the line.
Or head down to the vinyl sign shop and tell them what you need and they can make it for you.

It will not be an antique when you are done. It will be a table circa 2015

75% of the things you say, i have no clue what your talking about, and the other 25% is brilliant. I think ill start with the refinisher and see if i have any problems up to then then we can talk paint.

I'm going back to one of my earlier suggestions. Find out if she even cares about the stripe. It's not inlay, it's not even, it detracts from what's a nice little table, and clearly it's not something you're very comfortable with doing.
Strip the finish off and sand it down to bare wood, then refinish it.

I'm going back to one of my earlier suggestions. Find out if she even cares about the stripe. It's not inlay, it's not even, it detracts from what's a nice little table, and clearly it's not something you're very comfortable with doing.
Strip the finish off and sand it down to bare wood, then refinish it.

So she just wants to resell it once its done so she'd prefer for the stripe to be there but i don't think I'm going to bring it back. I just need to make it look as good as possible so I'm also probably going to use tung oil

So i used the formbys refinisher today to refinish the surface of the table and i think it looks good (ring is gone and stain lightened A LOT). However i did go through a lot of the refinisher using 1 quart to refinish the top surface and it took some work. I will definitely be getting another can to do the base. Just wondering if there were any recommendations on using the refinisher more efficiently so i don't go through as much. Should i be using steel wool instead of the fine refinisher pad, and how should i apply it to the table because i was sort of just pouring it on which could have waisted a bit

Last edited:
I've never used it, but if I did, I would have followed the directions, and if I still had questions, I would contact the mfgr.

I've never used it, but if I did, I would have followed the directions, and if I still had questions, I would contact the mfgr.

Well the directions said to use steel wool but i just figured that would make a mess and wouldn't work well idk

I use steel wool and put the refinisher in a can or dish. As I told you before it becomes infused with the old stain and finish and that is good because when you return it into the can ring it out and it will darken the mix. By the time you are done the stuff will be almost like stain and you can blend in light areas by going over them more. The steel wool also helps get the finish off with a slight cutting action. Once you get it where you want it you can wipe it down with a soft cloth and then let it dry and go at it with the oil finish.

Can you post a picture show us what you have now.

I use steel wool and put the refinisher in a can or dish. As I told you before it becomes infused with the old stain and finish and that is good because when you return it into the can ring it out and it will darken the mix. By the time you are done the stuff will be almost like stain and you can blend in light areas by going over them more. The steel wool also helps get the finish off with a slight cutting action. Once you get it where you want it you can wipe it down with a soft cloth and then let it dry and go at it with the oil finish.

Can you post a picture show us what you have now.

What type of steel wool (course medium or fine). I will try getting pictures tomorrow

Latest posts

Back