Screwing AC registers in ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D725A

Reaction score
After some coats of new plaster on our old 1920s ceiling, i now have to re-install the AC register, which has four screw holes. Before I took it down it was installed with four two-inch screws right into the plaster, no anchors etc. and since the register is relatively light and doesn't get taken down and re-installed that often, they were holding pretty well.

However now the holes are plastered up so in lining things up i may not hit the exact place again. At any rate there's about an inch of plaster, then wood lathing, likely not a joist above every screwhole. I could just drill a pilot hole and repeat the old setup, hoping a few of the screws connect with the lathing. I could also use plastic anchors, which might facilitate future removal/replacement for duct cleaning etc.

Any thoughts?

In my opinion, as long as you drill pilot holes to prevent from creating outward pressure on the plaster; either option would be fine.

Thanks for the reply. The trick is the thinnest masonry bits i've seen are 3/16"--there are probably thinner--which are far thicker than the screws themselves, so i'd probably have to chance it with a regular bit if I didn't want to use anchors.

Double sided tape or adhesive backed velcro is another option.

yes, thanks, great idea (love the ingenuity displayed on this site.) if the lip of the register can contain the thickness of the velcro without creating a space between the register and the ceiling, then that's a good choice since the register can more easily be periodically removed and replaced for duct cleaning etc. thanks again.

Back