Turbine vent

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
I am planning to install a turbine vent on my garage today. What is the idea placement for such vent. I am thinking it has to be near the highest peak of the roof top and somewhat less visible to the our view :), hence more on the neighbor side.

I have a location that I want to put but it is not the highest. It is more of halfway to the peak (roof is not that steep). The reason for this location is there is a crack in this area so I figure I used this location.

Also, do I put nails every six inches around the base?

TIA,
tntrac

If there is other older vents on the roof, the new one wants to be on the same side. If you also have soffet vent and gable vents the gable vents should be closed and place the vent as high as you can. But anything is better than nothing.

Position the vent so that at least half of the vent is higher than the ridge, but not so high that the base interferes with the shingle capping.

Thank guys. I installed on the garage the other day with the whirlybird. I sort of watched the wrong video. Instead of slitting (shingles) both sides of the base to the bottom edge, I only did a little past half. So half of my bottom flashing on the sides exposed. I climbed up there today and placed some patching on the exposed sides of the flashing. I used a Henry brand.

I have one whirlybird left to install on the house. But to be honest, I am not sure if it works with the turbine. Maybe its all marketing hype.

Last edited:
I have had them explained to me a few times but to me there are two thing that are a plus. They are bigger that other vents and the are raised off the roof so the don't get plug with snow maybe. On a windy day they will turn and they say suck air out. The word turbine means it needs energy to turn it. So if it's turning when there is no wind it is the heat that is doing the work.
On the other hand if the turbine is really turning on a calm day, you are loosing a lot of heat and that should be addressed.

And 418 C.F.M. in a 1000 sq. ft. attic of 3' avg. height is 7 ACH.

The person who wrote this ad does not understand significant figures. 1 part in 418, 0.2%, implies an accuracy and precision that no one will get when dealing with HVAC.
It's something like reporting a person's height as 68.3462".

Last edited:
Wuzzat and InspectorD: All that is great but the OP wanted to know what you thought about turbines.

Wuzzat and InspectorD: All that is great but the OP wanted to know what you thought about turbines.

Neal, I answered the question, there on the last line.:D
The first part was rebuking the link that was posted, and what the "I'm a guy with a site so I'm an expert" said about turbines. What he referenced with the "maxivent" isn't even a turbine .

I think turbines can work on some homes very well, but just screw others up so bad they grow organizm's in the attic.
Every home is different means, how well are the pressures in your home balanced....that's a whole different class.;)
Only time and monitoring the issue in a scientific manner will tell for sure.
We are just guessing.;)

I just provide data and let the now-somewhat-informed OP decide, based on his/her own "utility function".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back