Roof leak problem with new roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muty

Reaction score
Hello, this is the first time I'm posting. I hope someone can help because I'm stumped. When it rains, water runs down the side of our house and seeps into one of our windows that's in the path of the water flow.

I thought it might be clogged gutters above the window, but our gutters and eaves are sloped and away from the walls of the house. It would only make sense if the water was somehow defying gravity.

I've attached a picture to clarify the problem. The water actually starts somewhere above the window...I'm not sure if that's very clear from the photo.

IMG_2745.JPG

Woops...I posted a whole different answer until I looked more closley at the sideways picture.
Looks like the roof above has a sidewall flashing issue. Your overhand would keep water from entering the top of the window. The water is probably coming in above this area.
Getting on the roof, if you are comfortable with that...is the next step. Then get us some more pictures.
Or call a roofer. The house may also have damage in the wall, get a professional to take a peak.
Can you see anything in the attic?
Let's figure it out.:D

looks like a roof leak to me. How's the shingles in that area? Do you have any ice&water shield installed up there? If so, it should run 3ft. past the exterior wall.
Not that this is the answer but, if you had sheild up there, then I'd be very puzzled.

This was 3 months ago...you should have had it done by now.:D

As for the gutter...I wish I was there to tell you that's the cause. Post a picture if you want, but for all those out there with a similar issue , getting someone out there to really evaluate a serious problem like this is your best bet.

Help... we had a new roof installed ($14,000) and during the recent heavy rains we saw water coming through the outer ceiling of the house and running down the walls on opposite sides of the house...I wonder if shingles are missing?? I have called the roofers but I would like an idea of the possible causes of the problem before I meet them.

Last edited:
Tell him there is something wrong with the job he did and he should get his *** out there and figure it out and fix it.

Back