New Roof problems Need help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smj7039

Reaction score
I had a contractor install a roof with 30 year Owens architecture shingles. Several questions 1) Put wrong color drip edge all the way around perimeter and has to replace is this a problem? 2) Several areas gaps about 1/2 inch to a inch in shingles and you see the tar strip from the shingle below is this a problem? 3) Numerous shingle have dime size wear marks on like they are defective they have no granules it looks like what the back of a shingle looks like. Should they have been put on and could they cause a problem down the road.

The contractor is going to replace drip edge, the gaps contractor said was no problem and would not cause any problems and the shingles he said were defective and he would put a dab of roofers caulk on bad spots. Is this acceptable for something I have paid big money for. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had a contractor install a roof with 30 year Owens architecture shingles. Several questions 1) Put wrong color drip edge all the way around perimeter and has to replace is this a problem? NO

2) Several areas gaps about 1/2 inch to a inch in shingles and you see the tar strip from the shingle below is this a problem? YES

3) Numerous shingle have dime size wear marks on like they are defective they have no granules it looks like what the back of a shingle looks like. Should they have been put on and could they cause a problem down the road. YES THIS WILL BE A PROBLEM

The contractor is going to replace drip edge, the gaps contractor said was no problem and would not cause any problems and the shingles he said were defective and he would put a dab of roofers caulk on bad spots. Is this acceptable for something I have paid big money for. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The shingles are still pliable and replacing the drip edge should not be a problem IF they are careful.

There should NOT be a gap between the shingles, period!

Areas where the granules are missing is called a "scuff", its where where foot traffic has caused damage to the shingle and must be replaced, NEVER CAULKED

Shody workmanship. All the problums your concerned about are valid. There is no simple fix to these, except the dip cap except a complete redo of the roof. There is no way to make up for a 1/2 gap unless the whole row of shingles come off and be relayed. Every damaged shingle needs to be replaced not caulked.
Never ever should the adhisive strip be exposed. That means they tryed to run the shingles with to much exposier, a good way to have a leak.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back