Outlets Not Working

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landon

Reaction score
Hi!

There are 2 bathrooms in my home that the AC Outlets do not work. However, the lights do work if you turn them on for both bathrooms. How can the lights still work but the AC Outlets does not work?

I went and did a reset for the 2 bathrooms but all the ac outlets for the 2 bathrooms still not working. The first bathroom only have 1 ac outlet. The second bathroom got 2 ac outlets.

Any advice would be great!!

Welcome to the site.
Lights and outlets are often on different circuits. Bathroom outlets should be protected by a groundfault plug. The plug will have a test and reset button between the two plug ins at one outlet. It can protect meny outlets downstream so it may not be in the bathroom. It may be in the kitchen or nearby bedroom. Some have a green light when they are working and some have a red light when they are tripped. That would be my first guess, if not you may want to check breakers again, some don't look like they have tripped but you have to turn them fully off and back on again.
If non of that works we will be looking for a loose connection in a box somewhere in the house.

Check any of your outside and basement GFIC outlets also. Builders like to save a few bucks and use as few GFICs as possible.

open up the outlets and check for line voltage to the outlet. could be a bad outlet or broken connection.

Thanks for everyone help!

The outlets that I have do not have the test and reset button or the green light. These outlets are the plain ones.

I will try some of your suggestions today.

Thanks all!!

The outlets that I have do not have the test and reset button or the green light. These outlets are the plain ones.

They could still be protected by a GFCI in another location. The garage, outside or basement are common locations.

An open GFCI opens both the hot & neutral connection so if that's the case almost certainly there is a GFCI upstream somewhere that needs a reset.
It's otherwise unlikely that you'd lose both hot & neutral.

To test the hot, run an incand. lamp in a pigtail socket from a known good ground to the hot connection (should be the short slot) of the dead outlets. You'll need an extension cord as a test lead and you'll need clip leads. A plug inserted and then pulled 1/8" out of the sockets/outlets/receptacles will give you a good electrical connection to the socket's interior spring loaded blades.
Be careful and wear eye protection because if you short a hot line, little globs of molten copper or aluminum will be flying through the air.

To test the neutral, run an incand. lamp in a pigtail socket from a known good hot connection of some outlet to the neutral connection (should be the long slot) of the dead outlets.

Then you'll have to find out why the GFCI tripped. :eek:

Last edited:
Back