what's screwdriver brand?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudy

Reaction score
Hi,

Some cretin walked off with my favorite screwdriver, which I'd like to replace. The others in the set don't seem to have a brand name on them, the yellow glass handles say Made in U.S.A. and Bridgeport U.S.A. and have numbers like 30047. Maybe the brand name has worn off, as I've had these for years.

Anyone have any idea what brand this would be?

Thanks.

I'm afraid you might find your beloved screwdriver in the beginning pages of this catalog linked below...

Bridgeport Hardware Manufacturing Corp. Catalog #53

The company closed it's doors in 2006 like so many other manufacturing companies in this country a victim of buyouts and liquidations as production was shifted to the third world. One of their customers was Stanley so you may find a similar product in their line today no doubt Made in China as Stanley itself is a former shell of itself in American Manufacturing....
Cresent was also one of their corporate owners at some point so you may find something similar in their product line...

Here is a link to pictures of the plant as it now stands...

urban_decay: Former screwdriver plant, Bridgeport, Connecticut

One of their products I really liked was the Suregrip Nail Puller #56 shown on page 32...

They sure don't make them like they used to...

Last edited:
Trudy: Why go into a research program for a simple screwdriver? Sears has a complete lineup of screwdrivers from which which I have bought and used for years. Theirs seem to be the best I've used regardless of price.

Tips are too brittle on sears screwdivers.
Yea I know they arent pry bars but....

IMHO a good tool stands up to some abuse...

Trudy: Why go into a research program for a simple screwdriver? Sears has a complete lineup of screwdrivers from which which I have bought and used for years. Theirs seem to be the best I've used regardless of price.

I've had this one for decades, and my Dad gave it to me. So I wanted one just like it, if I could find it.

i use craftsman screwdriver...i got a set of them..so far it is still ok..i bought it around 3 years ago

Best I have used are Vaco. Harder to find but they hold up very well. Snap On also makes some great screwdrivers and you could probably buy some through your local garage.

Back