Fastener Question for Exterior Siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeezix

Reaction score
My covered patio has a handrail around it. I would like to use 4x8x5/8" siding to keep the rain and snow from blowing in between the handrail and the floor. (I think this is referred to as a "knee wall" but not sure.)

I have a air staple/nail gun that shoots 16 ga brads. I plan to use it to shoot 1-1/2 inch finish brads through the siding to the 2-inch framing boards. Will these brads be sufficient?

It sounds to me like your applying plywood and the little brads will have no chance against the wind. If your worried about how bad nails would look I would suggest renting a staple gun 1/2" crown x 1/12" they are gavinized hold good and hide pretty good under paint.

thank you for replying.

My first thought was to use #8 x 1-1/2 flathead screws, then I remembered I have a #18 stapler (1/4-inch crown) and a #16 stapler, both with beaucoup staples and brads.

If you think my 1/4-inch crown staples (I used them to nail new plywood to my bathroom subfloor in preparation for tiling) would hold (and I have over 900 of them), let me know. Otherwise, I'll add the flathead screws to my shopping list.

What are you planning on doing to the plywood to make it water resistant? If you leave it natural it will delaminate after exposure to the elements. I'd suggest sealing and painting all 6 edges. Next, are you planning on leaving it up year round? If so I'd suggest attaching it with stainless screws or deck screws.

OH, welcome to House Repair Talk!

I would try your staples and see how well they hold, if they fail the test go with screws like Oldog suggested. I would go up one on the plywood and use the papered stuff that is used for concrete forms, if you can find steelply they used to make it without all the writing on it.

I will first cut the plywood siding to size, then prime and paint all six surfaces, then install the siding, and finally touch up the staple heads and caulk the four edges. I was going to cover the stapled edges (about 75 linear feet) with moulding but the wife put the kabosh on that idea.

Nealtw,

Not sure if my nailer can handle 1/2 staples - have to check it out.

My next post should have a photo showing what I intend to do.

Last edited:
My intent is to replace the lattice with something solid so that the wind, rain, and leaves won't blow into the deck area quite as much. The siding will extend to the floor of the deck. Two sections are shown, I have six sections in all.

20081018 020 640x480.jpg

I'd also suggest, if this is the route you are going, is to use a product like Advantech. It's a lot more resistant to moisture and will last longer than even exterior grade plywood. Cost is not that much more either.

Staple guns have a fixed size so no 1/2 inch crown will not fit in a 1/4 gun and keep in mind you will want to use more staples than you would nails.

Latest posts

Back