power washing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4883

Reaction score
I have an 1800psi Husky electric power washer.
I plan on washing my house (vinyl siding w/aluminum trim) and my deck made out of treated lumber.
All of which is 10yrs. old.

I was thinking about TSP or deck cleaner (probably just premixed TSP). I don't care about the wear of the chemical on the power washer and don't want to have to purchase multiple cleaners per surface being cleaned.

My question is: What chemical cleaner can I add to the detergent tank on the power washer that won't leave stains on opposing material and is also biodegradable?

I have used plain old bleach with good results.
You will always end up with that ..."wand sprayed at it look"... with the power washers. Staining it when you are done will help to hide some of it.
And I usually end up doing it twice.:eek:

Most chemicals are bleach based anyway, and you can get a case of it for what you pay for one gallon of specialized cleaners.

Thanks for the tip. I should have researched this myself. As it turns out, power washing a deck is not recommended and the type of bleach to use is "oxygen" bleach not chlorine bleach.
As far as the vinyl & aluminum, well .... you just have to test your approach in an out of the way area.

P.S.- Don't ask me how I know but, it is possible to bend aluminum siding and break vinyl siding w/a powerwasher (that's one you probably didn't see coming).

Back