Some ideas for floor plan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan1026

Reaction score
HI, I just recently purchases a new home and I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on how to place furniture, and if the little half walls in the living and dining room should be removed since the house is not built yet (Have included the floor plan

http://www.decorahomes.com/new/_pdf/_homes/Roth.pdf) , as well, I went for the extra media room on the second floor and the lux. ensuit. SO I was wondering if I should move my laundry room up into the upstairs media room or to keep it on the main floor. Lastly I was wondering if there are any tweaks that can be made to improve the design on any floor, since i have 1.6 ft to extend the house (lengthen) and 1 ft to widen it. I greatly appreciate this thanks!

You picked this plan so making to many suggestions may be pointless. I don't like the powder room in the staircase, I would make that for stackable washer and dryer and have a larger powder room where the utility room is now. Just move the garage door over.
With four bedroom I assume a large family, in years to come you may want to put alot of people around the dinning table so The division between living room and dinning room would be min. like a couple pillers close the walls and a fake beam across.
The look down from upstairs over front door takes alot of room and could make bedroom 4 huge. As is the closet door in bedroom four should be a pocket door. Just things to look at.

Thanks I appricate your ideas I did ask the builder about moving the wash room into the laundry area and moving the laundry area upstairs by putting it over the open to above front door but the cost to do so is way to much they asking around 7 grand since they have to add more structural beams and redraw the heating and cooling routes. and such.... and the washroom does not fit in that area.

To go on Neal's idea...i am not a big fan of the powder room on the staircase. I would simply combine it with the laundry area and relocate the entrance to the garage. use the same layout as the powder room has now, and put it next to the window. Do you really need the laundry tub? what is your thoughts on a stacking washer/dryer? You should have plenty of space there to make it all fit.

As for the dining and living room, I like the breakup between them. But if you have a great room, and optional media room, is there a need for a dining room, AND living room? Is the plan for them to be more formal? i think the great room is where you and your family will spend the most time. You might consider moving that break between living and dining to enlarge the dining room. maybe close it off completely and make the living room area smaller, and make it a den or home office? Maybe make the dining room at the front of the house, make it a little larger, and put the powder room behind that so its not on the stairs, an then you can leave the laundry room and garage alone.

Best of luck!

Mike; Depending on the depth of the sewer system, a basement bathroom may not be possible , in that case a bathroom on the landing is not a bad idea.

Its totally on you what you want? Kindly inform us when you get your flooring done.

Back