exterior wood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaletchat

Reaction score
Hello,

We are looking at an apartment in a building with a lot of exterior wood that is natural -- not painted or stained. That is typical in this area (Swiss Alps). In this photo you can see some discoloration that is starting after about ten years. Is this normal aging or rot that will need to be corrected? The older buildings here have wood that is almost totally black and is hundreds of years old.

Thank you for any advice!

apartment.jpg

Some types of wood are fine in the weather and turn gray or silver with age and exposure. You want to find out what kind of wood the exterior is especially the five beams and then reseach that.

The architect states that the exterior woods are fir and pine, and that they are expected to change color like this. I just want to confirm.

Some types of wood are fine in the weather and turn gray or silver with age and exposure. You want to find out what kind of wood the exterior is especially the five beams and then reseach that.

I see a lot of rot so I aways want to protect the wood, and if wood is allowed to dry it can take alot. Is there older simular houses in the area where you can talk to homeowners?

Back