Building a pole barn - size and pitch suggestions needed please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegogetter222

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm building a 24x32 pole barn in NW Pennsylvania. Gable end is opposite the main sliding door as to match my home design. I'm debating between either 9' 1st floor height with a 9/12 pitch OR a 10' 1st floor height with a 10/12 pitch. Attic trusses will be used for a second story usable space.

Is there any reason not to go bigger? Price difference is marginal. My goal is to have it be a storage barn as well as a hang out for graduation parties, pool parties, etc..

thoughts? Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a fun project and the snow will slide off that’s for sure. Go with the 10’ first floor and the steeper pitch if it gives you more usable space the cost won’t be much different.

I would be tempted to do just conventional framing of the roof if it’s a DIY project and you want some clear span up there anyway.

Good to see another NW PA’er

Hi Bud!
Good to see you hangin out again. Hope CS is treating you ok : ) Could you clarify what you mean by conventional framing for more space? As in a rafter?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, rafter, ridge, collar ties and joists. Doing it that way you will need a beam down the middle though. Not sure what end your door or doors will be on. with 24’ you could put in two 10’ doors with a post between them. Depends on how you plan on using the downstairs area.

Its going to be a reverse dormer with sliding barn doors. I'm pretty much set on the attic trusses at this point as to avoid the support column in the middle of the open floor plan 1st floor.

Here is the inspiration I'm building off of:

http://www.yourbarnbuilder.com/gallery/timber-frame/stevenson-md.php

This barn is 12' 1st floor with 12/12 pitch and 26x36. The only difference for ours is no cupola or rock base and creating an upstairs.

nice looking building. i like the 12/12

I once got my hands on a 6000lb. gantry. It was too tall for my garage and cried when I had to part with it.

Ahhh... So stick with the 10' height. "You can never have a big enough barn" i was once told. Just not sure that applies to height in all cases : )

Bonus room trusses will give you all the room that Bud was talking about, I have never seen them less than 12/12.

Back