Dewalt 735 planer experiance

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keitht

Reaction score
I purchased a DeWalt 735 planer to use remodeling my house. I have a stack of red oak, not sure off the top of my head how many feet, but it was about a 3000 pound pallet of the stuff. I knew that this was going to be a tough job for a portable planer and bought the best one I could – certainly the most expensive portable I saw.
After a week or so, the drive belt broke on it. I took it to Dewalt and they replaced it. Then a couple of weeks later, the motor burned up. Again, I took it back and they rebuilt the motor. Then about a week later (yesterday) the motor went out again. Supposedly, Dewalt has to keep repairing it for 3 years, but it took a month to get it back last time and I’m wondering if I will ever make it thru this job?
It is on a 12 gauge power cord. I keep the machine blown out well. I let it rest between boards. I only take off the tiniest amount of wood per cut. And although I’d love to plane these boards down to ¾, I’m only planning them down to 1 inch to save on time and machine wear.
I don’t know of anything else I can do to baby this machine through this job? Anybody have any words of advise?

These thing are made for someone making furniture or something when they only use it once in a while. There is a reason the bigger ones have 12 to 16 hp.

I agree. The thing is just not built for the task. I'll keep plodding away at it and I guess Dewalt will have to keep rebuilding it until I'm done with the job. It's guaranteed for 3 years. I'll be done by then I hope.

I suppose if Dewalt doesn't like it, they should start marketing them "for small jobs only."

Some times it's better to find some one with the bigger equipment to run it for you, but as normal we find that out after spending the money. I gave up on the little planners years ago when I picked up a 1940's 36" 2 drum door sander.

Back