r and r vinyl siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolfan

Reaction score
My house has vinyl siding and need 3 panels replaced(damaged). I have some extra pieces and wondering about r and r. I have looked at the ones i want to remove and the bottom i got to pop off and looked behind the piece. I know you are suppose to use a special tool to remove the siding but bc i popped the bottom of in a small area can i remove the pieces without the tool? It is about 3 panels. How hard is it to cut? One panel is smaller. thanks

You can do it without the hook tool but for a couple bucks it’s worth having. It’s easy to cut with a straight cut aviation tin snips. You will have the damaged pieces to use as guides on how to cut the replacements. The nails are not supposed to be hammered tight the siding just hangs on the nails and that allows for it to expand and contract with the temp. if you are careful you can unbutton the siding off the nail heads and not pull them. (sometimes)

Did you have the grill too close? ;)

On the back was a copper line for gas logs. The side a nail is coming out and the siding has a small gash in it. The front looks like something hit it and put a small cut in it. thanks

Grind or cut off the protruding nail and rehang the new siding pieces.
Tin snips, paneling blade mounted backwards on a circular saw or sometimes a razor knife.

Old siding will be faded compared to new, you may want to do a little more jugling to match colours.
When you remove peices run a pencil line above the peice first so you know how high to pull the new one up. Easy to screw that up.

Great points Neal. If the area is highly visibility you may want to take pieces off the side of the house you don't see so the fading matches. I have done that in several places.

You mentioned a hole and I have patched holes without removing the piece. You take a short piece and trim the top and bottom so it slips under at the top and drill two holes from bottom for pop rivets. Depending where it's at the double thickness doesn't show.

If you don't leave the nails in marking a line like Neal said helps. If you take down say five rows and putting them back up you are slightly low each row and that's easy to do the last row will be a bugger to get to snap in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Latest posts

Back