I have so many questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naomi,
As a contractor, I have done kitchens under these exact circumstances. The home owner had gone to a kitchen cabinet store, had them measure for the cabinets and set up for the countertop after I finished the cabinet install. I priced out and hired the electrician and plumber sub contractors. Everything went smooth and the owners were happy (last one was over 4 years ago and not complaints).
13.5K is a very fair price for all the work as long as that includes the subs. Don't be scared off if you believe this contractor is reliable. You should talk to some of his references (which you should have got from him).
AND, I don't get any contractor discounts either. Costs are all passed on to the customer when I do my estimates. Keep asking questions and you'll get answers here but don't be scared off.

Naomi,
As a contractor, I have done kitchens under these exact circumstances. The home owner had gone to a kitchen cabinet store, had them measure for the cabinets and set up for the countertop after I finished the cabinet install. I priced out and hired the electrician and plumber sub contractors. Everything went smooth and the owners were happy (last one was over 4 years ago and not complaints).
13.5K is a very fair price for all the work as long as that includes the subs. Don't be scared off if you believe this contractor is reliable. You should talk to some of his references (which you should have got from him).
AND, I don't get any contractor discounts either. Costs are all passed on to the customer when I do my estimates. Keep asking questions and you'll get answers here but don't be scared off.

Nice to see an opposing view but I have some questions.

I am not sure how you could price the labour for the subs when you leave product selection to the home owner. Unless you have everything set in stone, the home owner has a habit of upgrading fit and finish and as you know the more expensive the product usually means more expensive sub trades and more time you have to spend on the job to make sure fit and finish matches the money spent.

It was easy. My subs came in, looked at the job, knew how many outlets, lights or what plumbing had to be done, gave me a quote for their work which I submitted to the homeowner in my estimate. I don't work out of my head, I let my subs see the job beforehand.

It was easy. My subs came in, looked at the job, knew how many outlets, lights or what plumbing had to be done, gave me a quote for their work which I submitted to the homeowner in my estimate. I don't work out of my head, I let my subs see the job beforehand.
If I remember correctly from this thread, the GC has already given Naomi a price. I don't think she has seen a sub yet.....:confused:

So you already ordered the counter top, is the labour on the same bill, if you pay for it does that get deducted from the GCs bill.

I have not yet ordered the countertop, but I do know where I will be getting them and the labor is included in the price I will pay. The countertop company is installing the countertops. As far as I know, the labor on the countertops will not be deducted from the price given to me by the GC.

Naomi, did you get my email last week?

Also is there any sub work included in his price or is he doing any sub work?

Naomi, did you get my email last week?

Also is there any sub work included in his price or is he doing any sub work?

Chris,

Yes, I did get the email a supplied the info to the GC. He was grateful and happy to comply with giving me these things for each payment and step of the process.

The subwork is included in the price that I was quoted and I don't know that the GC is doing any of the sub work.

Hopefully he is an honest guy and maybe still learning things. I have only done this in my life so it is second nature. I forget there is no contractors guide or booklet. I just hope he delivers what he promises.

Hopefully he is an honest guy and maybe still learning things. I have only done this in my life so it is second nature. I forget there is no contractors guide or booklet. I just hope he delivers what he promises.

No one hope this more than I do. This is the first home my husband and I have purchased as well as the first time doing a remodel. We have our entire life savings wrapped into this investment. If it goes bad, there is no room to recover. This information that you all are sharing with me helps me more than these simple words can express and it certainly comforts me to have you all as a resource. Thank you again for all the help.

Keep it all friendly, have a pot of coffee on hand for the guys. A little kindness is usually repaid, but let them know they are still working.

Absolutely!! Coffee and donuts are a must have to start a hard workday!! Sadly, I won't be on the site each day to watch over them. I have to trust they are doing what they should. I do have a monitoring system set up in the house to check should I need to though.

So, in another thread, I saw that things went south, right?

Since you are a military spouse, you should have access to a free military lawyer who can give you advice. There are supposed to be extra protections for military members and their family.

Back