Will dark stained maple age with time?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmclien

Reaction score
Hello, We had an existing pre-finished maple floor in our house made by Siberian and in the color of saddle, which is a medium to dark brown stain. We tore out carpet on the main floor and put in the same wood, 4 years later. Where the old wood ends, the new wood continues. The new wood is a good shade lighter. My question is will even stained wood age or darken over time to become closer to the original installation or does stained wood not darken? I have not been able to find an answer to this question anywhere. Thanks

Unfortunately the two woods will never quite be the same colour. However, over time they will be more similar. I had installed wood in my kitchen once we ripped up the carpet and found the original hard wood of the home. As much as we tried to match the original wood's tone, we couldn't get an exact match. It's been 3 years and the difference in shade are pretty comparable.

Back