Having a problem with Trex decking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2244

Reaction score
Trex Transcends. I am drilling a 1/8th hole for every screw. I am using a Dewalt cordless impact screw gun. The problem is that the square head tips that came with the Trex keep breaking and then I gouge the $80 boards.

Should I drill a bigger pilot hole?

Thanks for the help.

Are you over-driving the screws? I sometimes break off the heads when I get too excited . . . I am surprised you aren't using deck clips which hide the screw holes competely.

The hole has to be big enough for the screw not to bite in the deck board. If the screw bites into the deck board, something has to strip before the board is pulled down tight.

Having worked with composite materials, I think nealtw is correct about the holes sizing on the deck board.
If you don't have the hole big enough, the screw will back the two pieces away from each other and you will strip the deck board before you penetrate the joist.
You don't need the larger hole in the joist, just the deck board.
Maybe purchase a square bit made of a better material.

Just finished laying over 1,800 sq ft of grooved South American hardwood decking. We used several deck clips, including Tiger Claw. For TREX, however, I have used their Hideaway Hidden Fastening System. It is designed specifically for Trex grooved deck boards. This is their proprietary system for fast and easy installation. The result is a smooth, fastener-free deck.

The Connector Clips are black, stainless steel fasteners. The boxes come with square drive bits that do not slip.

Check them out:
http://www.decksdirect.com/hardware...y-hidden-fastener-connector-clip-by-trex.html

Back