Need new bath - please help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubiculum

Reaction score
I'm a very big guy. I managed to crack my tub that is on the 2nd floor of my house in the master bath. I only noticed because there was a puddle in the floor after I took a shower under the tub in the unfinished area of my basement. It's definitely cracked.

The existing tub is a one piece fiberglass or acrylic (I can't tell). From the hole cut out in the floor in the unfinished basement area where the drain is, it doesn't appear that the actual "tub" is sitting in anything - it's almost like the whole thing is supported by the sides. I imagine this is why the hole things feels cheap and flexes under foot.

So, I want to get a new bath tub installed. I don't know a lot about the different types, but I saw steel one day and I can't imagine I'd crack that, but I've heard about rust and other issues. Some recommend Americast as well.

So, any recommendations on the type of tub to purchase? And, any info on installation to make things more secure (ie, some kind of base to support the "tub" part of the tub)?

Thanks for the info in advance...

Your problem is probably that the installer did not use a mortarbed under the tub. Most plastic and fiberglass tub manufacturers recommend this step. Since metal tubs are coated with a very hard surface product, this should not be a problem and they are stronger and maintain water heat longer.

Latest posts

Back