Hitachi drill

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc7101

Reaction score
I am a new member on the forum and starting renovations at home next month. This looks like a good place to get some ideas and expert advice. I'm going to need a few more power tools for this project. I need to get a cordless drill for driving screws and drilling some holes(mainly in wood). I have researched a lot of cordless drill reviews to find the best value for money drill. I am thinking of getting the Hitachi ds18dsal. On this review page http://www.thediyhubby.com/cordless-drill-reviews/ it was mentioned as being the best buy cordless drill an on the Popular Mechanics tool reviews http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/ it received very good reviews.

I need a good drill as this is a huge project I am taking on at home, but need to keep budget in mind as well. I would like to know from the members here what their thoughts are on the Hitachi and if there is anything else they would suggest. ($200 budget)

Cordless do have their place, but a good corded is the way to go for a primary drill IMHO. For $200.00, you can probably get one of each.

Welcome Marc. I've heard good things about Hitachi, but no first hand experience. I have a Milwaukee 18v and am very happy with it.
For your money, you should get 18 volts minimum, two Lithium-Ion batteries and a charger/reconditioner. A simple charger is okay but the reconditioner will absolutely keep your batteries running longer. I also agree with having a corded drill handy. Even if the cordless does most of the work, there are times where you'll have a screwdriver bit in one, and a drill bit chucked in the other.

I have several Hitachi tools and they are quality tools.As far as cordless drills I have three sets of millwaukee drill/impact combos that are 18V and come with two batteries a case and charger.Can be had on sale for $200.
Get daily use on jobsites with never a problem in 3 years of use.
Once you start using the impacts the drill will not se a lot of use except for drilling holes.

Thank you for the replies! I have a corded drill which I bought a few years ago. Mainly for the hammer function. Looking at cordless for the freedom it gives you when taking on a project like this. Looks like Milwaukee is a big favorite here. Did a bit of research and looks like most pros prefer them. The Milwaukee drill/driver combo kit 2691-22 (18 volt) is on sale at the moment for $199.78. This looks like a very good deal.

Thank you for the replies! I have a corded drill which I bought a few years ago. Mainly for the hammer function. Looking at cordless for the freedom it gives you when taking on a project like this. Looks like Milwaukee is a big favorite here. Did a bit of research and looks like most pros prefer them. The Milwaukee drill/driver combo kit 2691-22 (18 volt) is on sale at the moment for $199.78. This looks like a very good deal.

The price seems about right.

Dewalt Is what I use. Many other good companies are way too pricy but dewalt gives u the best quality for the lowest price. I bought the combo pack that are brushless and run lithium ion batteries it cost me 300$ but is totally worth the money

Hi marc7101, I noticed your request for help with a drill. I suppose you have purchased by now but just in case not. There is a top ten cordless drill short video and a review of the best corded and cordless drills on the cordless drills page with the pros and cons of corded and cordless drills at 1st4tools.com check the site out it is full of helpful information.

Back