Samples of Drawings to Submit to Zoning?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
As I'm taking the rebuilding of my porch stairs to the next step (no pun intended), I'm trying to find sample images of what the drawings I submit to the code/zoning people to get approval should look like. I can draw anything, but want to avoid confusion and give them as correct as possible drawings from the start. Google takes me to all sorts of images, not sure which may be proper for this purpose. Side View, Front View, Railings, etc.

Any links and comments welcome.

As always, thanks!

vince

All of the above;)
Site plan including house and deck in relation to the property lines.
Top view showing placement of footings and posts and beams, lay out of joists
side view including depth of footing and attachment to the house, railings and stairs and slope if required
front view.
Make sure all the drawing measurements agree with each other.

Thanks, Neal. That's kind of what I was wondering, just how much info and detail do they usually want. I'm wary of either giving them too much info and having them get confused, or not enough and having them irritated. I'm going to check with a neighbor who's a carpenter and see what he submits when he does similar jobs.

vince

It does widely vary from place to place around here there is a county line and my nephew was building in the other county. This was quite a few years ago before the new unified building code came in but he had his house plans hand drawn on a single sheet of notebook paper and was a basic floor plan and I told him that will never fly and it went right thru.

I agree with Neal they might not care about paint color but anything structural should be all there along with wiring and plumbing etc.

Back