Floor Joist Framing Notched at Top

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a lot a work to get 6" of head room in the basement.

He is just thinking out loud with all the pros and cons before he buys the house. I would use those joists to adjust the price, the home owners could come up with an engineers report saying it is fine but likely they would go for a few $s discount.

I think/hope the soffit separating the rooms is at a minimum 7ft clear. Raising the floor is definitely going to be tricky, there’s mechanical duct-work, electrical conduit, gas line, a/c line to coil, hot/cold water supply lines, drain lines. I drew up a quick detail, existing condition vs what I think it will take to raise the sunken floor properly.

ps. forgot to mention that in that entire 14-16ft span, there is no blocking separating the joists at all...

Drawing2-Layout1.jpg

I would just reinforce the notched ends with steel plates that match the profile of the 2x12. Bolt them together through the ends and be done with it. Then do what you want above. Get them cut and drilled at your local sheetmetal shop.

I think/hope the soffit separating the rooms is at a minimum 7ft clear. Raising the floor is definitely going to be tricky, there’s mechanical duct-work, electrical conduit, gas line, a/c line to coil, hot/cold water supply lines, drain lines. I drew up a quick detail, existing condition vs what I think it will take to raise the sunken floor properly.

ps. forgot to mention that in that entire 14-16ft span, there is no blocking separating the joists at all...

Looks like a lot of work but your plan will work.

Back