How can the contractor charge this lower price?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good installation. How many nails did he put in each roofing piece?

Seems to have done a good job. Any thoughts based on the few photos that I have?

Yes and as a response to your alluding to your roofer's practice of pointing out the failings of others, which appears to be "sales schtick."

Not too shabby. $2,650 for 13 squares of shingles. He ended up needing a little more and didn't charge for those. He brought a few extra squares just in case.

The "few extra" is in part because of his method of using shingles as starter, instead of starter roll. So when you view the edge shingle relief, you see a seam every 3', which you do not see with starter roll.

Besides which you always procure extra for cuts and waste, so I wouldn't get all jazzed up at that.

They tore down a single layer to the deck. He found about four different areas where the older shingles were starting to leak, so they changed out those boards, put down the underlayment, put metal in the roof valley, changed all of the pipe flashings/boots, sealed around the vents and put the shingles over. He came back over this morning to seal and paint a water heater vent on the roof to keep it from rusting.

You see in the photo of the valley flashing that it is installed on top of the base sheet and face nailed.

Every nail penetration is a potential leak.

In my practice the valley flashing is 24" wide, has a center rib and is installed against the roof sheating and the base sheet laps onto the flashing.
There are no nails closer than 9" away from the center rib of the flashing.

I never use the "booted" flashings, because they are neopreme and will fail. I weave the flashings into the shingle application.

But then, I warranty my work for the duration of the owner I preformed the project for, remains as the occupant of the dwelling.

In a "W" valley pan, if you fold a hem on both edges, use clips to secure it, you never have penetrations of the pan. The valley should have ice and water shield under it and the underlayment run over the edge of the pan.

Starter shingles have the seal strips on the outside edge and this helps against wind lifting.

Looks like a good installation. How many nails did he put in each roofing piece?

Well, he had a couple of guys roofing with him. He watched them very carefully and specifically told them, "I want 4 nails in each one, you got me? Make sure that they are GOOD nails, too. 4 nails is code." Then he sent me that photo later from the roof with a text that said "Nailed by code". He also told them to make sure that the shingles go over the edge 2" per code. He has known them and worked with them for years, but it is his construction and roofing company, so his reputation is on the line if they mess up. His best marketing is actually by word of mouth, even though he's in the Yellow Pages and such. So a job well done gets him recommended to others and keeps them all getting a paycheck.

But then, I warranty my work for the duration of the owner I preformed the project for, remains as the occupant of the dwelling.

Sounds like you'll eventually lose a lot of money when all of that catches up to you.

Sounds like you'll eventually lose a lot of money when all of that catches up to you.
If he uses the right materials and does the job right then it is not likely to catch up with him. With good materials and good installation, it is not likely that there will be leaks or problems. The only issues might arise from damage from severe weather conditions or falling trees or something. Probably better than being taken to court for doing a shoddy job and having leaks.

Mind you, I don't know enough about roofing to be able to say whether or not your guy did a good job or not, but there's nothing wrong with someone warrantying their work if they stand by the warranty and do good work in the first place.

Fortunately, in your situation it really isn't an issue since it seems you intend to sell the house so you won't have to live there and deal with any problems should they arise. But I do think you made a good faith effort to get a good roofer and if you're satisfied with the job, that is what matters.

Actually, I've been at it for more than 35yrs. and have yet to perform a warranty call back. No cheap and dirty shortcuts.

Just to be clear,YOU, referenced his proclivity to point out , in his interpretation and sales schtick, the failing of others.

In the end, it's your house and YOU have to live with it and if you sell the house FHA you can obligated for an additional year, and I'll bet his warranty in not transferable.

Well, he had a couple of guys roofing with him. He watched them very carefully and specifically told them, "I want 4 nails in each one, you got me? Make sure that they are GOOD nails, too. 4 nails is code."

More sales schtick and of course he provided the code section which by the way addresses required nail gauge and length so you could go to the applicable code adopted for you community and, "trust but verify?"

Then he sent me that photo later from the roof with a text that said "Nailed by code".
He also told them to make sure that the shingles go over the edge 2" per code.

And the applicable code section and paragraph is..........?

More sales schtick and of course he provided the code section which by the way addresses required nail gauge and length so you could go to the applicable code adopted for you community and, "trust but verify?"

And the applicable code section and paragraph is..........?

Roofers in Atlanta must adhere to specific guidelines defined in the Official Code of Georgia relating to insurance claims and work performed by residential roofing contractors.

Georgia Drip Edge Code, Georgia H.B. 610 and Georgia H.B. 423. I am very sure that one of those $7,000 quotes from a large roofing company would certainly not have that sales schtick.

Plus, I don't think large commercial retail companies and million-dollar homes would be letting him roof their buildings if he didn't do a good job. I saw both of those among his pages. One condo complex hired his team for over 500 squares to transform their complex.

Last edited:
We used to cut the tabs off the first row of shingles and that would leave the tar strip right at the bottom and no slots. Now I see guys putting a row on upside down to start. I think the starter shingle or starter roll sounds like the art form has improved over the last 50 years.

Roofers in Atlanta must adhere to specific guidelines defined in the Official Code of Georgia relating to insurance claims and work performed by residential roofing contractors.

Georgia Drip Edge Code, Georgia H.B. 610 and Georgia H.B. 423. I am very sure that one of those $7,000 quotes from a large roofing company would certainly not have that sales schtick.

Plus, I don't think large commercial retail companies and million-dollar homes would be letting him roof their buildings if he didn't do a good job. I saw both of those among his pages. One condo complex hired his team for over 500 squares to transform their complex.

That's a cut-n-paste from a supplier.

So try the actual adopted code;GEORGIA STATE INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL CODE, which is the bible all contractors must adhere too.

It would be difficult for me to complete a roof tearoff for $200/square and pay all of my men an actual paycheck with payroll taxes, AND earn a profit. I'd ask for this roofer's number so I could sub him out, but I doubt his guys are properly insured. Lawsuits waiting to happen....

Back