Finishing basement.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Reaction score
So. We are in the process of moving into a house and the first project on my list is to finish finishing the basement.

The previous owner lived here until 09 and then started renting it out while he lived here he started finishing the basement but once it turned into a rental property he stopped. Its what I would call 90% done. Walling off the remmaining bare walls wont be tough. But I do have a couple questions about how to go about a few things.

But before I get into those questions. I plan on turning the basement into a bar and adding some sound proofing and a toilet so what we adults do down there doesnt disturb the kiddos.

Anyway. Im not exactly sure how to go about hiding the wiring.

JBFZ4rn.jpg

XnDnWqh.jpg

I was thinking of putting the bar under where you see the wiring and adding overhead cabinets to cover the wiring.

And adding a closed in toilet here in the corner.
rKkDccj.jpg

There is already an egress window and three of the six walls are finished.

The tile and the glue under it will want to be tested for asbestos before you start removing it.

We build a 2x4 wall 1 inch away from the concrete for insulation and vapour bearier and that also hides the wiring.

That was the plan for the walls themselves. I was asking about the wiring along the beam.

There are several ways to enclose the elec., However, it must remain accessible, so what-ever method you elect, be it molding or a soffit or a box, allow yourself the ability to service the runs, or add additional.

Don't waste the money testing either the glue or the tile, neither appear to be from the era of asbestos.

As for the walls, I use 1-5/8" steel studs, because they save space, as opposed to the 3.5" of a 2x4, and don't rot.

There are several ways to enclose the elec., However, it must remain accessible, so what-ever method you elect, be it molding or a soffit or a box, allow yourself the ability to service the runs, or add additional.

Don't waste the money testing either the glue or the tile, neither appear to be from the era of asbestos.

As for the walls, I use 1-5/8" steel studs, because they save space, as opposed to the 3.5" of a 2x4, and don't rot.

Ive never used steel studs. But Ill look into it.

The house was built in 76. So some builders still used it. But Im not sure about here in Iowa. I was thinking about just building a floor overtop it so I dont have to worry about it.

There is a slight learning curve with steel, A strait snips, screw driver attachment and several kinds of screws. One screw top and bottom of the studs. Material other than 25ga, 3.5" seldom available from the big boxes.

The easiest way to seal the existing is to lay an aesthetically appealing sheet of vinyl over it.

Thanks again.

Was talking to a buddy at work. He did 20 as a seabee. Guess he has lots of experience with metal studs. Might have to pay him to help with beer. Once I get the build started I'll post pictures.

And as always keep the advice coming.

Latest posts

Back