DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Problem with retrofit recessed lights

Old 04-24-2017, 09:28 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2759 Times on 2425 Posts
Likes Given: 4517

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post

To fix 10 lights like that with no access from the attic would probably cost a lot more than getting a replacement inserts for $50. I am also not up to the task to deal with sheetrock, spackling, painting and electrical work.
Repairs are made from the finished side, 1 sheet of drywall 1 bucket of filler and a roll of of tape. $50 dollars and a learning curve.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:30 AM  
drabina

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Repairs are made from the finished side, 1 sheet of drywall 1 bucket of filler and a roll of of tape. $50 dollars and a learning curve.
Considering my spackling skills (or lack of them) I would be better off just keeping the old insert trims that my wife hates. :-)

Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2759 Times on 2425 Posts
Likes Given: 4517

Quote:
Considering my spackling skills (or lack of them) I would be better off just keeping the old insert trims that my wife hates. :-)
Fair enough

Old 04-24-2017, 09:52 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 349 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Those look good but at $50 a bit steep as I need 10 of those. Will keep looking thru this site. Maybe I am going to find cheaper ones with bigger diameter.
Yep, it's the gimbal configuration that adds to the costs, and unfortunately, most of the other trims and complete replacement fixtures measure 7.5".

Old 05-18-2017, 12:00 AM  
Voldo
Banned
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I have older (late 80s?) recessed lights in the kitchen with the regular bulb and snap on trim. I would like to replace those with LED retrofit lights but it looks like all available sets are not wide enough to cover the "lip" of the casing. It looks bad to have one ring on top of another with the casing sticking out. Isn't there a way to cover those? I literally tried all available lights in Home Depot and Lowes. None of them have diameter that will cover old casings.
try Covalin LED retrofit they have 4"and 6"diameter