Stone front porch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethany14

DIY dummy
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding info on how to construct a stone porch. Does anyone out there know where I can find some info?
Thanks!
Oh, and here's a pic of what I'm thinking:

Stone Porch.jpg

nobuddy?
Well, as of right now, the plan is to sink footers 36" down using cylinder forms. We're planning for 8x8 posts that will rest upon those cylindrical forms. I'd rather build up the footer though, at least to rail height on the porch, and have the posts begin there. Is that possible? Or is this look a facade built around posts that go all the way down? We'll have 8 posts for our 24' wide x 10' deep porch. (code requires that it be free-standing) We're planning a deck for the rooftop that will be around 75% greenroofed which is why we're using such big posts.
Any ideas?

The photo looks like a traditional stone wall that would be on a continuous footing. You could do the same. I doubt if it is just a facing because natural stone that size would need a footing for support.

Why not consult a professional? You will probably need drawings anyway to get a permit and show it is a free-standing porch.

The connection of the porch roof to the house could be tricky if they insist on keeping it separate. A local designer whould have a good idea about the application of the local code requirements.

Dick

Thanks Mudmixer, your name lets me know you know what you're talking about on this :)

So, if I poured a continuous footing and set some cinder blocks in it (with rebar, right?) and then faced it with pretty stones I could achieve that look, right? Or, I could skip the stones altogether and muddy up the face of the cinder wall to coordinate with the 'stucco' facade of my home... So then, what would my floor joists attach to, and how? Would I attach my beams to the cinder wall and hang joists like usual? Or would the joists hang right on the cinder wall with some sort of masonry joist hangar?

As for the porch roof, it will attach as any other roof would, but it will be 100% supported by the porch structure.

Why not consult a professional?
That is what I hope to accomplish here ;)

Here's what I've got so far for my plans, they are not finished though!!! And if you want, you can check out my house in my gallery.
Thanks for your help!!

porch plans begun.jpg

Can't seem to find enough info on stonework for porches, so here's my lumber plan. I'll head to permitting monday AM, so let me know what I should change before then! Thanks in advance for your input!

edited to add: the plan doesn't include tying the new front porch to the old side porch. we'll attack that later.
edited again to add: as of 10/28 Still haven't made it to permitting :eek: --keep changing the plan!

Porch Plan-front view-small.jpg

Porch Plan-top view-small.jpg

Stonework or brickwork structurally would be the same and there would be lots of ways to do it. In my area I start everything with a soils test/report because of our weird soils. No sense doing thousands of dollar worth of work to find it is moving around on you.

I'd vote for a continuous footing below frost line. Or better yet a concrete footing/wall combo from frost line to grade, (slightly below grade). Then you can get your top and bottom rebar and take care of your tensile strength.

Probably a few other ways too.

We could probably help you out on the actual laying of the rock when you get that far.

K2

Thanks K2 :)
I'm warming to the idea of a continuous footing. I can rent a terramite back hoe for about $200 incl delivery...that appeals to me more than renting an auger and digging 8 footers. Both are feasible, I imagine the continuous footer would provide a far more rigid structure. Since I'm raising 8x8 posts up to the 2nd story deck (which will hopefully support a vegetated roof) I like the idea of them beginning at rail height.
So, I envision a continuous wall that rises to just about floor height, and then built up blocks to rail height with posts resting on them. But then, should I be worried about moisture trapped under the porch? And what about the posts next to the house? This has to be free-standing, so I can't get around that.
Another thing I'm confused about, is what's the difference between resting the floor joists on top of the beams and hanging the joists from the beams? Seems to me hanging them is simpler and more efficient...but do you lose strength by doing that?
One more thing :)
If I secure the post to the block footing, can I also rest my beams on the footing? Could I sandwich the post with 2-2x10's? Or, should I set the beams on the block footings and rest the posts on them? Or would the continuous wall up to floor height then become the beam? And if so, how wide should the block wall be in order to support beams/joists at one level, and posts at another?
And lastly, am I making this more complicated than it has to be? Sorry if so, and thanks for any & all input :D

Porch Plan-front view-small w-wall.JPG

Hi Bethany:
I like the continous footer below frost line and concrete blocks to grade line then, if you want a porch that would be "period correct" for your house you could use limestone rip-rap. You just get a truck-load of the stone (which measure 6" to 8" each) do some pre-planning on where certain stones will be and start laying them similar to the way you would lay concrete blocks. This wall will bring out the artist in you and you can be proud of it the rest of your life.
I also like the stone piers on the wall to hold the 8x8s.
I would use portland cement and sand mixed at a 3-to-one ratio, rather than brick mortar, because the portland cement has better binding properties. Just spread a bed of the cement and lay the stones in it, occasionally rake the joints with a leather glove on your hand. That makes it look neat and pressing the cement into the joint gives a better bond to the stone.
If this sounds like a lot of work..... it is but you will be proud of it.
You could lay a run or two of 4" wide concrete blocks with a treated wood plate on top, behind the stone to support your floor joists. Yes hanging joists is just as good as laying them on top of the perimeter band.
Glenn

On second look at your example house, I'm sure they have used limestone on their porch just like I was talking about.
Glenn

Glenn, you ROCK ;)
I like your idea of limestone rip rap alot, I'm gonna call my local aggregate folks and figure out how much I'll need. What do you think I should do for the posts that are near the house? They're already pretty big and will occupy a significant amout of room on the porch. The ones on the ends I think I'd like to have the stone piers for, but I'm second guessing those center ones... Should I still make built up stone peirs for those posts? Or should I run those up from a concrete block pier just below the floor height? hmmmm....
edited to answer my own question :)
Yes, all posts will have a stone base. duh me :)

and... Should the piers be 16x16? Is there a 'standard' base for 8x8 posts?

Yes, that would be sufficient. It just depends on the esthetics; what ever looks good. A concrete cap on the piers might be easier to set the posts on and look a little better too. In that case I would use 12" X 12" pier with a 16" X 16" cap on it.
Glenn

Awesome, this will be great!
I'm having a hard time finding limestone riprap around here...the place most local to me (a huge aggregate place) said they only carry it in 12" and they won't deliver b/c it wrecks their trucks. They quoted that 12" stuff for $1625/ton, but I'm certain what they carry is specifically for land retention. Should I be looking at landscaping places for this stuff?
Also, I read somewhere that a 6" wall can get 30sqft out of a ton...does that sound right? So, a 6" wall at 3' tall would go about 10 linear feet?

I want to say thanks to you guys for all your help, especially Glenn, wish I knew where to send some cookies ;)

I sure like the look of this hodge-podge stone arrangement...

stone posts.jpg

Hi Bethany:
You're welcome but my computer has too many coookies now, I have to delete them frequently. LOL The whole earth has a limestone shell, it should be available anywhere; maybe you could try the yellow pages and also look for excavation companies. If there are any shallow streams in your area, perhaps you could pick up some creek-bottom stones.
The new picture appears to be a mixture of limestone and brick. It is a work of art, isn't it?
Glenn

I like the idea of plucking my own rocks...I'll have to see about that. Most undisturbed natural areas (esp streams) around here are protected, and hubby works for USFWS!!! :eek:

Those bricks really give it character, I think. From what I understand they're called 'clinker bricks' and though they were originally discards from the brick firing business, those resourceful bungalow builders came along and found an artsy/funtional use for them. I love how bungalows symolize simplicity, conservation, and art...makes ya proud to own one :D

What if...
Instead of a lumber floor, I blocked and filled the area? Is this ridiculous? (it's ok to say so, I have a tendency to throw out half-baked ideas) Then I could pour a smooth concrete/earthen floor or flagstone it...and the only lumber would be in the 2nd story deck.
We plan to have the porch wrap around the right side of the house. Most water run-off problems stem from our McMansion neighbors and their top-o-the-hill water eradication methods. They are on our right side (if you're facing the house) so a solid foundation wrapped around would block and re-route their run-off to our gardens. Of course, just a wall would do that too.
Oh, and I found a superb rock company, I think. They're within 30min, and they have an online price list. Only thing is, they specifically state on their site that they offer contractor prices to everyone b/c they have no intention of providing 'customer service'. Which means me-no-picky-brains there :( I definitely want the stones we get to be as local as possible. Who knew there were so many kinds of freakin rocks! :confused:

Hi Bethany:
The concrete floor is the best route for you. No matter what kind of wood you put in there, it will eventually rot out. Concrete is considered a lifetime job. Just try to get good compaction without disturbing the outside walls or the house foundation (keep mechanical tampers 12" away from any masonry wall). The flagstone would blend better with the stone walls.
Glenn

That's great! Thanks Glenn :)

I'm guessing this floor needs to be below my house's foundation. The foundation is 8" below the floor level, so I'll plan a nice wide lift around the doorways.
How far below the height of my house's foundation should it be? A couple inches?
Should I lay a row of block along my house's foundation, or is the existing foundation sufficient?
I guess it's time to invest in a book about foundations :)

Back