why does my ground have current

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had found a ground wire that had full voltage or near full voltage, you would have been able to trace that circuit and fix the problem.

You still might consider going back through and checking the wire inside your junction boxes and in your outlet boxes for skinned, even tiny nicks on the wire's insulation where the wire touches the boxes. Check for screws that could have penetrated the insulation, check the wire at the point where it enters the boxes. It doesn't take much to become a big problem.
square eyes thanks for your kind response,
someone mentioned that testing with a tester is silly cause its not relyable.. i purchased a 2 dollars tester, so im gona take his word on this. i got a multimeter! a few days ago i redid the electric in my entire house AGAIN. it seems my ground section is fine, untill something is pluged in to the outlets. meaning, if nthing is pluged in, its 2v, but when i plug something in the volts of ground jump max max max 70 volts. im gona grond my place properly then i do tests again

thank you all for your wonderful responses... i bought a ground cable today 6mm and connected it to a water pipe.. my problem is now solved... no more ~~shocks~~~

SOLVED

I have to go with Speedy Petey on this one. As a journeyman electrician myself, I can tell you that you have created a very dangerous situation. Your water pipe is not to be used as a neutral, and that is what you are doing when you connect 70 volts to it. There should be 3 wires serving a house in your country, much like our country; except the 3rd wire is a ground. Do you have any 120 volt appliances in your home? A 70 volt return is like an open neutral on a 120 volt device. None the less, the 3rd wire on your service should handle this need. You should look towards your serving ground from the power company, because it sounds like it is failing. What you have done by hooking the ground to your water pipe is dangerous because when that fails, your water pipes will become electrified. It's the thought of standing in the shower soaking wet when that problem reoccurs that should make you worry. A water pipe can only carry current to ground efficiently for so long before it becomes corroded and fails. The idea of hooking a ground to a water pipe is only a safety measure in case a ground fault occurs.

Be careful what advice you follow out here, and good luck, my friend....

I have to go with Speedy Petey on this one. As a journeyman electrician myself, I can tell you that you have created a very dangerous situation. Your water pipe is not to be used as a neutral, and that is what you are doing when you connect 70 volts to it. There should be 3 wires serving a house in your country, much like our country; except the 3rd wire is a ground. Do you have any 120 volt appliances in your home? A 70 volt return is like an open neutral on a 120 volt device. None the less, the 3rd wire on your service should handle this need. You should look towards your serving ground from the power company, because it sounds like it is failing. What you have done by hooking the ground to your water pipe is dangerous because when that fails, your water pipes will become electrified. It's the thought of standing in the shower soaking wet when that problem reoccurs that should make you worry. A water pipe can only carry current to ground efficiently for so long before it becomes corroded and fails. The idea of hooking a ground to a water pipe is only a safety measure in case a ground fault occurs.

Be careful what advice you follow out here, and good luck, my friend....

tripple D, thanks for your kind response, because of the reason that the entire blocks water pipe might become electrified i made sure not to connect the ground there. when i said my post was solved, i had connected the ground to an old water pipe (with no water) of metal, which is cemeted into my wall. My ground doesnt recieve anymore than 1v. i no longer get shocks from touching applicances in my house so my problem is solved and nothing is failing. in regards to the cables, my country only has 2 cables comming in to the couse NOT 3. also the standard in my country is connecting the ground to the main water pipe where the meter is. I know this cause ive been told more than once, and i can see a 6mm ground cable connected near each and every water meter. I have left my ground where it is at the moment untill a friend of myn who is a certified technician ok's me to connect to the main water pipe like everyone else.
thanks
gavi
edited: no 120v applicanes

can the admin please remove any instance with the word "ekpc.com" in this thread.. im trying to keep away harvesters from my domain and i posted it at least once in this thread i believe when i uploaded a picture

thanks

Back