HELP! Can't decide on flooring!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikonenm

Reaction score
My husband and I are trying to decide on a type of flooring to use in our kitchen, which also runs into our living room. We want a continuous floor that will be suitable in both spaces. We live in a cold climate, and our kitchen is on the ground level.

Option 1: I want to use porcelain tile, and install heated floors over it. My husband is against the idea because he thinks it will be too expensive (after the heating coils etc).

Option 2: He wants to use a flooring like cork or bamboo that is suitable for both spaces. I don't like the look of cork, and because the hall that meets the kitchen is already hardwood, I think it would look weird to then join up with a bamboo floor.

Option 3: He wants to divide the area into two sides, porcelain in the kitchen and hardwood in the living area. I personally just want ONE continuous floor.

HELP US FIND AN OPTION 4, OR 5 .. etc!! :eek: We have argued about this for a year now, and I just want to find a compromise, or agree on something -- any other ideas?? Keeping in mind, we are trying to stay on a tight budget!

What do you mean "install heated floor over porclain"? Radiant heat would have to go under porcelain. Are you sure that your floor will support porcelain or ceramic tile? You can install wood or grass on a floor with more deflection and less strength than porcelain.

You can install ceramic or porcelain tiles on any floor that meets minimum deflection ratings which is L360. Most modern homes surpass those minimums. To be safe let us know how the subfloor system is built starting with the joists and working up to the subfloor. Include the type and siz of joists, species and grade would be nice, spacing and the span.

From that info we can advise how your new porcelain tiles should be installed in your kitchen and living room.

Did you guess that I think choice #1 is my choice? The heat mats are not there to help heat the room. They only warm the tiles and they're usually just used in strategic spots. You can find out what the cost will be ahead of time. You will also run a timer/thermostat so you can decide when you need warm tiles.

Jaz

OOps! Yes I meant to say install UNDER the tiles :p

As for my subfloor, there isn't one yet. Our house (built in 1988) was built on a concrete slab. We have yet to pull up the carpet and lino, but we were told that there is some sort of engineered sub floor panel system underneath. We didn't want to rip anything up until we had enough money to get started (still a few months away).

Does this help?

I would suggest you to use hardwood flooring to your kitchen because it provides warmth and beauty to your home. It also add value and are easy to care for and clean.

Would you recommend installing hardwood in a kitchen though? I worry that I might spill something on it!

Latest posts

Back