soundproofing my future condo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david45

Reaction score
’m in the process of buying a new bachelor apartment and I feel I need to investigate how it can be better suited for my audio and ht needs (although they claim superior soundproofing is going to be used… IT HASN’T BEEN BUILT YET).

It is going to be a concrete slab construction (8’’) and they’ve mentioned double stud walls and two layers of drywall on each side of adjacent walls (not sure what thickness). Standard flooring that comes with each unit is engineered wood flooring ‘floating’ on of some kind of quality acoustic underlay that also acts as a sealant. Ceilings are exposed concrete ceilings which I guess can cause a problem, but I love how they usually look and I realize that this is going to be the limiting factor in my project. Room size is around 3000 cubic feet and should be somewhat similar to the uploaded picture. I don’t want to go all out and it would be nice to keep costs down, but at the same time I have a fathom f113 and I want to be in good terms with my neighbors.

I’ve been doing a bit of research and it seems that with double stud walls, adding green glue in between the 2 layers of drywall can be a good start. Is it ok if I only use green glue on the wall behind the main speakers and subwoofer?

As for the floor, I am not sure what I should do. I can upgrade the acoustic underlay with the top of the line if this is not what they are already using, but shouldn’t I also try and find a way of using some green glue? There is no subfloor so what are my options? What materials can I use? Green glue has to be sandwiched in between two rigid materials right? Is it even worth the effort since I will be keeping the exposed concrete ceiling the way it is?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

Would it be wise to give a call to the soundproofing company or try to get in touch with ted white?

Thanks for the pointers, I'll send him a PM and hope for the best ;)

Back