Hardy Board

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbomangt

Reaction score
I ordered Hardy Board (pre finished) for my house, what should know about this product, I understand the install requires some real technical skill. checked other sources on line, and read some things that concern me. did I make a bad choice? Our current siding cedar is cracking spilitng and basically falling apart after 20 years, I thought this fiber cement was a good choice? we also elected to put 1/4" foam behind it for added insulation. Of course tyi vek would go on first. feedback welcome . gary

Gary, I have used Hardy Planks on many siding installs with excellent success. Its a great product IF you install it correctly. Go to the MFG website and download the installation instructions and follow them, you shouldn't have any problems if you keep the material off the shingles so as to have an air space underneath, nail it in the proper locations and use the recommended fasteners.

There are 8 different climate zones that are zone specific for installation of vapor barriers and insulation requirements, check with your local codes dept to see what is required in your area. I wouldn't even begin to take on the liability of recommending what you should do because it seems to be a moving target with insulation and barriers.

Most stores that sell Hardy Board rent trimmers/nippers to cut the Hardy Board. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and rent the cutters.

Good luck with your project.

Thank so much . I hired I contractor to do the work, sorry I didn;t make that clear, same guy that recommended IKO on my roof, now that its installed I heard about all the law suits against them...go figure....

Gary, the biggest issue with the application of any material is installing it according to the MFG spec's. If it is installed incorrectly it can and most times will void the material warranty.

Back