Chemical used in garden unsafe for edible plants?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xusword

Reaction score
So my parent in law wanted to grow some edible plants in our backyard. We have a pretty big backyard and we have been putting all kinds of chemicals on it. We have used grass feed, moss killer and rodent repellent. (Repellent that occasionally kills gopher and mole)

I am pretty sure that my lawn is unsafe to grow food to eat. How my question is: is there a way for us to prepare an area of our lawn for them to grow these edible plants? Buying enough soil from home depot to grow food seems to be an very expensive option.

Any advice?

Interesting problem but who says that soil bought by the bag or bulk would be free of the same chemicals.

I don't know about Canada, but here in the states we have county extension agents that will do soil analysis. Might be worth checking out.

I would just put in some raised beds. It's easy to control the quality of the soil and easier to work. Start with one or two and see if they're still gardening after the first year.

First of all, thanks for all your replies

I would just put in some raised beds. It's easy to control the quality of the soil and easier to work. Start with one or two and see if they're still gardening after the first year.

Where do you purchase the soil for the raise bed?

I would cut the lawn and roll the sod up then test the soil under it.

Just go to a local garden center. Getting a couple yards of good soil and some composted manure to mix in. I don't know that I would be buying bags from HD. There is lots of information online about organic gardening as well as raised bed gardening.

Last edited:
You're "pretty sure" the soil would be unsafe to grow food plants? I'd ratchet that up to "darned certain." I mean, if you apply poison to your garden where do you think it goes?

I'd either go the raised beds option, or replace a significant amount of dirt where you'd like to grow food crops.

Last edited:
Back