Window removal trouble

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twind613

Reaction score
Greetings all. I need to remove an old steel framed window that is installed in a block wall. The window frame is set in concrete, bottom and sides, which needs to be removed in order to remove that window. This construction is 73 years old, and I think this concrete has been there the entire time. I took a hammer and chisel to it for about an hour and determined that I had to find a better method for removing this old concrete. I hope someone has some helpful procedures to share.
Once this is removed and cleaned up I will install bucking strips and will install a new double hung window. The only trouble is this old concrete. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Barry
Indianapolis

A trip to your local rental place is where I would be heading. I have rented the small electric jack hammer and had good results.

Thanks Bud. I'm not familiar with "small" jack hammers, but sounds like a good option. I'll call the rental places and see what they have to offer. If I can locate such a thing that is small enough, that should take care of it.

Yep those big boys are for driveways not windows. The small ones are not too bad to handle and beat a hammer and chisel. Do a search (google) on jackhammer rentals for Indianapolis and you will find all kinds of them.

You might also need an angle grinder with a metal cutting disk (several). This tool should be in everyone's kit. It is not expensive but it is a powerful lifesaver when you need to cut or grind metal or cement block.

I can picture a situation on your project where you will need to cut one of the sides of the frame to speed the demolition. THAT is where an angle grinder shines!

http://www.tylertool.com/factory-re...MKTR9557NB-R&gclid=COLXiLToicECFYqBfgod95QATQ

ANGLE.jpg

Cake with hacksaw will get r done.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Back