New siding is splitting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunk_Engineer

Reaction score
I have a small cabin. Last year, we installed new redwood siding. Basically redwood planks that run vertically. The planks are all now splitting really badly. Probably 3/4 of them have huge splits, and at the rate we are going I am sure it is a matter of time until the rest them split too. The splits run vertically, sometimes all the way from top to bottom.

The contractor who installed the siding is experienced, and done a lot of good work for me in the past. But I am wondering whether he did something wrong? The only alternative explanation I can think of is that we just got a bad lot of wood, perhaps still green?

(And yes, there is possibility moisture is getting behind the wall. I don't see any obvious sign of this, though perhaps I don't know what to look for?)

Other questions: what do I do now? Can this be patched/caulked, or do we have to re-do all the siding?

With most woods the age of the tree and how the log was cut can make a big difference to cracking cupping and twisting as well as the moisture content when installed. I don't know alot about redwood but I would take photos and talk to other suppliers before talking to the supplier that supplied your wood.

Got any pics DE? What kind of nails was he using? I'd be curious to see where on the panels he nailed.
Mike Hawkins

Back