How do I get switch working again?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevbo

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing all the old outlets and switches in my house. Each bedroom has 4 outlets with a switch. All the outlets were half hot. My intention is to only keep a couple outlets in each room that way. However I have changed out an entire room with new outlets and switch. I replaced everything the exact same way and tore of the brass fins on the two outlets I wanted to stay half hot. Well now all the outlets (even the two I tore the fins off of) are hot all the time. The switch does not control anything. In another room i changed out the switch and did not touch the outlet. Now the outlet is hot all the time. For the life of me I can't figure out what is going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

image.jpg

The wire is stripped in the middle, sending the wire in two directions. Which made me think - do I need to pull all the fins on each outlet to break the loop? I really don't want very outlet to be a half hot outlet.

Was the switch wired that way before you changed it? You need to figure out where the power source is coming from. I think in your case, it would have to go to the switch first.

I changed out everything exactly the same. The wiring was already like that. The only difference is that the fins are still on two of the outlets.

Your outlets are a chain wired in parallel. You are correct the ones you didn’t snap out are acting as a jumper and putting the power back to the switched side of all of them.

Your back feeding the circuit with the outlets that have the tab but didn't before you started. Drop one of the hots off these outlets or remove the tab.

One wire is live and one wire is switched, the outlets that want to be powered continuously do not want the switched wire attached, that is you back feed.

Back