Flooring out garage roof - advice appreciated

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrumpy

Reaction score
Newbie to the forum, please be nice :)

Ok, I'm currently purchasing a new house that has a nice detached garage, 6x3m (internal) with a rather tall gable roof. I've not seen inside, but I'm guessing that it'll be framed up with w-shaped trusses. The site manager mentioned about 4"x2" trusses.

So I want to floor it out and I've been reading up about the fact that the trusses are load bearing and aren't suited to having a floor laid over them.

I really need some decent loft space in there and it seems a huge shame to waste such as large space.

I was thinking about fixing wall plates down each side of the garage, fixed with studding and resin. On top of that laying 6"x2" joists across the garage, 60cm apart and against the existing trusses to add strength. The diagonals are the pain and I've been looking as to how I can effectively remove these. I came across the photo below and that design could easily be incorporated before removing them. Cross pieces could also be added across the apex for additional strength.

Difficult_loft_conversion_03.jpg

I appreciate that I'd not be using steel beams, but it's only for storage of general stuff, nothing stupidly heavy. Now I expect some folk to tell me to get an engineer, etc, but I'm just after some thoughts as to whether I'm heading in the right direction or not.

Cheers, Rob

You say you're purchasing a new house, new to you or new construction?

And yes, if you are thinking of changing structure, contact an engineer.

If it is not framed yet then ask for the floor. The trusses can be designed to support floor load.

The picture you posted os aluminum joist, megga bucks or pounds or what have you. It would e cheaper to rip down the roof and order up trusses with a bonus room in the design.

Latest posts

Back