Whirlybird to extract above ceiling in winter and bathroom in summer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAH

Reaction score
I want to install a whirlybird that will extract humidity from a bathroom in summer, but be able to be changed to extract from above the ceiling in winter. Thus keeping house ventilated in summer & reducing humidity in bathroom, and not cooling the house in winter.
I envisage a whirlybird ducted to the bathroom, with the ducting having Y or T piece with a flap. Thus the flap could direct the whirly's suction to either the bathroom or ceiling space.
Can you get ducting with flaps in it?
And if so how would you control the flap from the bathroom?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this issue.

Hello IAH,

Welcome to the forums. The South Africa climate may warrant this type of project but my first thought is to use two different systems. Consider an electric bath fan to vent the bathroom. Of course, the whirlybird would then ventilate the attic.

Simple dampers for inside ductwork are available. Your local ductwork supplier may be able to help with this since your product availability will be different than where I'm at.

Hope this helps, Doug

Welcome IAH. Whirlybirds are not normally connected to a fan motor. They depend on rising heat to operate them. This would not work well for moisture extraction. Most are installed in the roof and have no duct work connected. This will not serve your moisture problem. You really need an extractor fan unit of the proper size for the room.

Back