How to lay the pattern for pavers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juneb1022

Reaction score
Is there a good free utility that will help in laying pavers on a driveway edge that is angled? Im not sure how to lay them since the angles are not 90 degrees.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
What size and shape (pattern) are the INDIVIDUAL pavers? That has a big effect on getting a good installation. I assume the beveled pieces on concrete in the left foreground of your photo are not what what you propose to use. - They are not real pavers.

That is where you start in selecting an over-all all pattern for functionality and appearance. Depending on the size and shape of the pavers you already have will determine how much splitting/breaking you will have to do.

You need to think and plan and not use "modern" utility.

Make sure you have a good edge restraint and good base since you can expect cars to wander off the driveway. - Butt up the pavers tight before cutting and piecing or vibrating in the interlocking sand and truing up the finished surface.

Dick

Here's how I would figure it, based on your photo. The shape and size and pattern of your pavers will obviously be a consideration but think of it as two rectangular walkways with a triangle connecting them. Both rectangles meet at one point on one side, the inside of that corner. If you use a framing square from that point, you'll be able to square off the end of each rectangle and then calculate the pie shape section where you'll need to trim pavers to fill it in.
Let's say that the pie shaped area is a 45 degree wedge. Half of that would 22.5 degrees. If you cut your first pavers at 22.5 degrees, both left and right side of the center of the of the wedge, it will get you square to the rectangle sections.
I would also start at that corner because you want to as full a paver as possible.
Sounds complicated but it's not.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned in my first post, the pavers are 4" x 8". Whats seen in the pic is a part of a retaining wall, not pavers. Beachguy thank you, I understand. Thank you MudMixer for excellent points. I will post up a new pic of the base. It was a lot of sweat to get dug down deep, even with a tiller. The soil was clay really.

If you want a paver strip that can carry a car load occasionally and not crack, you need a paver with some interlocking pattern and or sand vibrated into the joints of a real paver. You will definitely need some sawing for the angled corners. One you have a paver size and pattern, you can adjust the narrow strip width, so every cut will give you 2 1/2 length pieces that could be used at either end.

If you want it cheap, just use the 4x8 rectangular pavers in a stack pattern and be prepared for eventual resetting when car or truck eventually ventures onto them after a lot of moisture.

Dick

Should I start laying pavers where the rectangles meet in the inside or would it be better to start the paver lay at the walkway corner where the driveway starts?

If you start at the sidewalk, you're not going to know what you'll end up with at the bend. If you start at the bend and are happy with the layout, you'll be able to lay your pavers in both directions moving outward from the corner. You should also measure to make sure you don't end up with a sliver of paver on the ends. Much like if you were laying down tile.

Back