Just got my new exterior door...is this normal?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a whole home renovation that is going to include moving my front door location. I just ordered, and received, a new exterior door from Simpson. When I got home yesterday I went to check it out and found that there is an excessive amount of adhesive squeezed out onto the glass panes on the exterior side of the door. Is this a normal thing to have on a new door? Can it be easily trimmed or removed?

Thanks in advance!

20151113_073038.jpg

20151113_073024.jpg

Is it in between the panes of glass or on the exterior where you can feel it?

It's on the exterior of the pane where I can feel it. Sorry the pictures aren't great I took them through the plastic wrap in case I need to return the door.

Very common to see this. I used to use a utility knife to carefully cut through the goo where the glass meets the wood, then scrape it away.

It’s great that they sealed it and it sucks if it’s something that can be easily cleaned up as DFBonnett says that it wasn’t done at the factory. As I get older I find myself viewing this kind of stuff in a different way than I used to. I view it as pride in your product and when I find a rather simple thing like this left undone I then relate it to overall quality and pride in a product.

Where I work we make locomotives and no one buying a locomotive cares much about the paint job beyond its bright and colorful and has the railroads name on it. But I see it a different way and if there is a run or a sander mark or a tail of mig wire hanging someplace, I see it as if we didn’t care about that did we let something slip inside the engine or something.

Attention to details is important IMO. What I normally do is correct the problem as described and then use the internet to find a way to communicate with the company. Explain your concerns and wait for their answer. It will surprise you in many cases how a big company insulates themselves from costumer feedback, and sends out a form letter reply and will send you a hat or tee shirt or something stupid. The company I work for tries very hard to listen to our customers and correct such things. Trust me if you are on the bottom of the totem pole you don’t want the top dog coming down to see what’s going on. Most big companies now are run by bean counters and never even know what the process is to the product they sell. Its 5 minutes they cut out of the cycle time is all they understand.

Thanks for the help everyone. I used a razor blade to gently score it and then scrape under the "putty" while pulling it off. Easy.

This certainly does seem like something they should do coming out of the plant, but oh well!

At the very least say it was something they didn’t do because in their process the putty has a chance of coming out over a period of time longer than their start to ship timeframe. They should in that case include some directions and explain why this is a DIY part of the door and maybe include a pack of single edge blades. Sounds to me like they just didn’t do it because they didn’t care.

Glad it was an easy fix.

It could have been a case of a lazy employee that didn't care and then no proper supervision to correct the issue.

Reminds me of an old employee that argued that it was ok to come to work drunk because he was good at his job so nobody should care that he was drunk.

Latest posts

Back