stair landing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
hello all, I had pulled up the carpet in my livingroom which butts up against the stair landing that goes to the second floor and replaced it with hardwood flooring. but the outside corner is round on the landing.can I somehow make it into a square corner so that I can cover up the spacing of the floor to the landing with molding? thanks

the outside corner is round on the landing.
>when viewed from above?

can I somehow make it into a square corner
>what is the radius of the curve?

I assume the carpet was cut out to fit this stair curve, in which case possibly the best option is to fit a curved flooring piece, like one of the corners of the upper right figure shown below.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=circ...9&start=21&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:20,i:212

Last edited:
"cover up the spacing of the floor to the landing with molding?"
I really don't understand this.

Is this a raised landing and you want to cover edges of flooring on it? Or gap between flooring below level of landing and vertical sides of landing?

Either way it would not be difficult to extend straight sides of landing to make right angle, and put joists inside triangle, if you want that sharp corner jutting out.

Depending on radius of curve. You can install flooring on landing over hanging curve, rout off flush with curve, cover edges with thin 1/4" slat of matching wood. Slightly releave upper out side corner with router or sand paper.
If covering gap, cut flooring to match curve, close fit 1/8", cover gap with 1/4"
slat applied to vertical side of landing. Releave upper outer edge.
There are also flexible rubber mouldings, base and shoe, that match wooden mouldings. Paintable and artificially grained and stained. May be local dealers or try google 'archetectectual mouldings; flexible molding.

You can build up thicker molding from thinner slats, applied individually and built up. Glue and nail each one. In shop with plenty of shapers, routers, gouges, planes, sanding, sweat and labor I have made such flexible laminated molding to match existing moldings.

A few pictures would certainly help.

http://www.invitinghome.com/baseboard/baseboard_fl4.htm
http://www.resinmold.com/

flex6-fl4.jpg

flexMOVIE-RESINMOLD.JPG

Last edited:
I think I had to do something like this recently in my TV room remodel, but some pics would greatly help.

hope this shows up.
1026121420.jpg

If 'twere me I'd rip a 1/4 X 1 1/2" strip of oak, round the upper outer corner. Steam the portion that needs to curve and clamp it around a jig. Sand and stain then glue and nail to side of landing.

What you have there is what's called a bullnose tread which is common for starter step. They make a quarter round molding for those that fits that radius. Not sure but think HD has it.

Latest posts

Back