Front Door repair/Cracked Foundation. Help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bishop_Bishop

Reaction score
Hello Hello,
I am now the proud owner of my moms old home, she passed on. I am trying to repair it bit by bit. I need to replace the old front door. My problem is the front door, upper right corner, is being pinched by the door frame. The kicker is the foundation is cracked and the crack sit to the right of the frame. Looking at it if you where inside the house. The crack runs to the other side of the house, right next to the water closet. Which has to be shimmed to sit level. I am wondering if I replace the door and plane the corner, if the frame work would just settle down a little more and rest on the door again.

Little on the house. Was built in 1979. Due to a mistake the foundation was bigger then the specs called for. Single car garage turned into a double. The contractor tried to get more money for the mistake. Contract owner denied it. The contractor cut corners everywhere to make up the loss. The house was build very lazily and cheap.

Welcome to the site. Houses usually do all their settling in the first year or two so your plan would likely work. Most times jacking the house back up is not that big of a deal with good planning and patience. So if you are interested post some picture of that problem before you wreck another door.

before you wreck another door.

Aww, that's hurt full, lol. Mom was a pack rat. This is the first time I have ever gotten to use it.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I will post pictures after I have it up.

It wasn't ment to be hurt full, just consider all your options before you start spending money

Latest posts

Back