Why is this breaker blowing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
The top right breaker. 20 amp GE.

Hooked up to a washing machine and I think a security light. It blew when the washer was turned on. I replaced the breaker, and the new one blew immediately as well.

1108171820a.jpg

1108171820.jpg

1108171820c.jpg

Breaker pop because something is drawing to much. If you haven't added anything to the circuit, you could expect it is a short. Unplug the washer and see if it will re set.. That will tell you it is the washer or not.

Breaker pop because something is drawing to much. If you haven't added anything to the circuit, you could expect it is a short. Unplug the washer and see if it will re set.. That will tell you it is the washer or not.

It is the washer. The breaker reset and the outlet works. I was just assuming the security light is on the same breaker because it stopped working at roughly the same time. This washer recently had a capacitor replaced after a voltage surge due to power lines down after a hurricane.

It is the washer. The breaker reset and the outlet works. I was just assuming the security light is on the same breaker because it stopped working at roughly the same time. This washer recently had a capacitor replaced after a voltage surge due to power lines down after a hurricane.

Maybe post a question in appliance forum to check into that.

Back