How do I put wire in this 250V, 50A outlet?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the links in post #16 defines.

Ranges installed as plug-in's as the instructions state, when allowed by local codes, is an option.

As the links in post #16 defines.

Ranges installed as plug-in's as the instructions state, when allowed by local codes, is an option.

And "lig" is spelt with an "e" as in "leg" ----

People keep saying what is legal or illegal without citing laws. I believe the Florida Building Code is where I should be looking?

And you should have a permit, because, " well, somebody on the internet said this," is not a legal defense.

We do not know which NEC Florida is using, and amended.

New ranges want a ground too, might be a good time to look a little harder at that wire.

You are correct , the 3 prong outlet is no longer legal . Must be 4 prong , with 2 " hots " , 1 neutral and an earth ground .

Wyr
God Bless

And if you look at the neutral/white lug you will see a jumper and green screw joining them. That jumper connects the neutral to frame to act as the ground. If you have a four wire feed you remove that jumper and connect the ground to the green screw.

Yes as JoeD said and some others, if the stove is being hooked up with 2 hots, neutral and a ground then the metal strap that connects the neutral lug to the ground screw on the back of the stove (see arrow) must be removed. Then the neutral from the stove harness goes to the neutral lug on the stove and the harness ground goes to the green screen on the stove. When using a 3 wire plus ground harness along with 3 wire plus ground cable to the panel (3 pole 4 wire) use a NEMA 14 - separate the neutral from the ground by removing the metal strap on the stove/range

But your original picture showed only a 3 wire cable being used with a NEMA 10. Did you change the cable going from the panel to the stove receptacle and change the receptacle already as advised or did you leave it as it was. If you left it as it was (against advice) and not going to change to a 3 wire plus ground then leave the metal strap where it is.

jumper.jpg

Back