What should i do about the walls?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryce

Reaction score
1) take out the bad rotten parts
2) take out the bad rotten parts and try to frame in those spaces
3) Take it all out because it is all rotten and put in new frame 2x4 or 2x6 ?

I hoping that taking stucco off and letting it breath on the outside will solve the problem of rotten wood mold coming into the house?

rotten house.jpg

rotten house2.jpg

Last edited:
What is the wall made out of? If you do not know what the construction and materials are you cannot even begin to plan.

It certainly does not look like the traditional woof frame or concrete masonry.

Dick

It's 10" of 1948 fire wood and lime concrete. I've already build an internal frame.
I think the problem is the wood had stucco and foam over it and could not breath? H ha well it is all rotten 0 dry root. I must be crazy. Should cover it up and sell it.

Cordwood construction is such a specialized building method, and while I'm not discounting the knowledge base here, you're probably better off doing a google search on the topic. There are sites specific to cordwood construction out there.

Cordwood houses are not very common and never became mainstream. Jungle has been posting his and all the problems for a couple years now. I would never buy one.

The question is if you have one what would you do. Like any wood structure you have to keep moisture out and allow it to breath. It sounds like all the changes to this house caused a problem with that.

I think if it was mine I would start with that one bad wall and reframe it. I would use framing as thick as the cordwood keeping inside and outside walls where they are now and go with super insulation in the space. Doing that one wall will tell you how much work you are in for. Maybe do a little at a time or maybe just live with the parts that are working.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

It is like 95% dry rot and 5% worse rot. It was only wet because i sprayed it with water actually to keep the dust down. But taking out one log the middle of the wall is difficult to say the least. I think it must be the top of the cord wood rotting is the problem, drifting through the VB into my sleeping area.
The structure is solid because it so much mass and concrete glued together. I am worried if too much pressure builds up on the sides>>>><<<<<...?

Last edited:
I also thought it was stone. I've never seen this before. Another reason why I like this particular forum!

It is like stone because there is a lot of concrete in the mix. Also the wood is petrified.

I would never buy one.
But i paid only 110k for it and it's worth 200k+ now. Only local re agents will know it's cordwood. OSB and studs can rot too. My neighbors house is 1985 and already has roof sag!

Latest posts

Back