Question about my slab.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBJammin

Reaction score
I ran into a problem recently on the back of my house where I have a bay window. The brick below the window was leaking water through mortar gaps and into the walls that caused some mold to form on the sheetrock. The slab was poured for the shape of the bay window. The window is about 25 years old and is a cheap single pane that I would like to just get rid of. My question is, Is there any way I can get rid of that part of the slab where the bay window sits and just run me a straight wall and install a regular window?

This is a tricky spot, some pictures would help to get the correct answers. I can picture it ,however you don't tell us if it is a solid brick wall, a double brick wall or a wood wall behind it. Having someone out there to see it up close is your best bet to get the right answer.
Or some pictures and we can send you in the right direction.:)

inspectorD - Might the foundation jog out too? Don't know even if it would matter (depending on how things are built)

It all depends on what he has as a wall. Usually yes because you need to support the brick...however I have also seen a metal angle iron bolted to the house holding things up. This is why I suggest a picture of the area or someone to see it personally.;)
Even if it has a foundation ,there are ways to build it out with some flashing and look good.:)

Back