Add Bathroom DIY

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
Our building inspector cleared us for starting our garage conversion. Right now I'm trying to figure out what I can do to curb costs. Do I need a plumber for adding a toilet, sink and possibly a tub, or can I do this without a plumbing license?

I'm pretty certain that I can add a wye fitting to the existing main line and tie in the new bath drain lines to that. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello Cibula:
You might ask a professional plumber to draw up an isometric for your bathroom that can help you to DIY the job. Again, most codes will allow the home-owner to do their own work.
Glenn

As far as I'm aware, you can do all the work yourself as long as it passes a building inspection. However, sometimes that's not really saying much as code changes depending on what mood their in that particular day.

Most areas allow homeowners to do the work, with a permit, which means an inspection when finished. Some areas will help the DIYer with drawings or consultations before the project actually begins. Guessing you are running PVC for drains and you certainly don't want to be going back and cutting pipe underground after you find you need it to be a little different or adding a fitting for a vent or such. Even paying a Plumber to draw you up some lay-outs would be cheaper and easier than recutting installed pipes.

Does anyone have any guesses on what I could expect to pay for a plumber to rough in for a bathroom? I currently have copper pipe and the main stack would be about 12 feet from the fixtures.

Would the price differ that greatly if we were only to put in a 1/2 bath?

Back