Is my dishwasher dead?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzcar

Reaction score
Im in the process of moving into my first house. It has dishwasher, this is the first time Ive ever had one. When I turned on the water for the house I heard a water running noise coming from the dish washer. It turns out there is a little water spout of some type on the sidewall inside the washer, water just keeps spraying out of it. I tried pushing all the buttons on the washer and nothing, keeps gushing.

I know my discription of this problem probably sucks, sorry. Maybe I will get a snap shot of where Im talking about tommorrow.

Check for a light switch near you dishwasher. Code requires a disconnect near the dishwasher and over the years local codes allowed cords and receptacles then switches under the sink, then wall switches above the counter. Look for this first. If that doesn't work, I dunno, I'm no appliance guy :)

Welcome to HRT!

Usually located on the inside, front, bottom, left of the unit there is a small dome shaped plastic cover that houses the float. This float determines when to stop using water, when the water level fills inside the washer.
It could be that this float is stuck in the "fill" position and will continue to take on water until you jiggle it to unstick it.

If the float is stuck, would it still be spraying water even if the dish washer is in the off position?

There is no switch to turn it off, only a dedicated breaker. Their isnt a whole lot of building codes around here, or at least they arent all taken too seriously.

Find the right breaker for the dishwasher, then turn it off. Then turn the water on. If the water is still running the electric shut off valve under the washer is bad. Or a more likely cause is chunks from old cast iron rust stuck in the valve holding it open. So if water wont stop with power off, find the valve and remove it and see whats up. And if water stops with power off probably not worth your time to fix, used or new is 50 to around 250 dollars. Good luck my friend.....

I want the whilpool gold stainless steel dish washer to match my fridge :cool: But 500 is more than I can spend rght now and would be pointless seeing as I only have a few dishes anyway lol

If the dishwasher start filling when it was off you will need a new fill valve.

There should be a shut off valve under the sink to shut the water off to the dishwasher.

A new valve for the dishwasher is 30 to 40 dollars.

Remove the bottom panel of the dishwasher and you will see the valve in the front left corner.

You can get new Appliance parts here.

Latest posts

Back