Soundproofing floor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valeriejoy

Reaction score
My husband and I have different schedules which mean his buddies come over in the middle of the week to hang out. Unfortunately this means that their fun travels from the basement to the bedroom where I'm trying to sleep.

Aside from insulating the venting underneath our room, what flooring options are available to subdue the noise?

What type of flooring do you have upstairs? Also, is the is the basement ceiling finished? If so, what type of ceiling is it?

We have 1.5" maple but plan to either cover with laminate or rip out and then put in laminate. Basement ceiling directly beneath the master is unfinished.

Just about any kind of insulation and a drywall ceiling in the basement will go a long way to quieting things down. There's probably a thread somewhere about what kind of insulation does the best soundproofing.

But i have to ask: why pull up hardwood and replace it with laminate??????????????

Laminate will transmit more noise than the hardwood.

Latest posts

Back