Swimming pool question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzadr

Reaction score
(Background: I have a salt water system pool (below ground) with cartridge filters)

My pool guy told me that an easy way to clean my pool without having to buy a vaccum is to plug the skimmer valve up with a tennis ball so the all the suction is focused on the drain at the bottom of the pool. I tried this but it doesnt seem to be working. The skimmer valve sucks up the tennis ball and I hear my system get louder like he told me it would. I spent about an hour out there today trying to brush all the dust to the bottom and just when i thought I was done, I walk back to the shallow end, and theres dust settled on the floor over there! I did this about 3 times before I gave up. I really dont want to spend $200 to $500 on a pool cleaner.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

I'm not an expert on pools but I have an aboveground pool I used for 10 years or so and my daughter has an in ground pool. Both of these are vacuumed by sealing the skimmer with the skimmer cover by placing it down in the skimmer instead of on the top. There are four skimmers in the in ground pool. Once covered there is lots of suction at a fitting made to slide the vacuum hose over.
With the weighted attachment on the end of the hose you can vacuum to the filter or vacuum to waste by selecting the appropriate position on the filter.

You can use filter cartridges to clean your pool. It can filter small particles like microorganisms in your pool and some debris. There are so many kinds of filter cartridges out there. Just pick your choice.

Latest posts

Back