Hail Damage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doechsli

Reaction score
We had a substantial hail storm a few weeks back and I was curious how to inspect my roof for damage. We have LOTS of storm chasers in town and I don't trust trust anything they say or do. My current roof is about 2.5 years old and is the dimensional shingles. After the storm there was a BIT of extra gravel in the gutters but nothing alarming. What should I look for to determine if I have a homeowners claim or not.....

Dennis, if you have sustained hail damage the shingles will show areas where the granules will have become dislodged from the shingle. You will be able to see the asphalt of the core of the shingle. While this does not usually present an immediate danger, if left alone the asphalt will decay from UV exposure and will become a leak problem. You will see areas that have become dented, granule loss or spots where the shingles may have fractured.

If you get up on your roof, DO NOT go up there alone. have someone on the ground incase you get in trouble. Wear soft sole shoes. Take a piece of foam cushion if the roof is slightly steep to help hold you on. make sure the ladder is well secured to the gutter or fascia board and by all means DO NOT take any chances. If you feel the least bit uncertain about being on a roof call a local, established roofing contractor to come and give you a roof inspection.

Hail damage.jpg

Thank you sir....I am comfortable (well, not comfortable but VERY cautious) on a roof and fortunately its not very steep. I usually get up there twice a year to clean off any debris. Now I know what to look for.....thanks again.

Back